Møsefund Farm strives to embrace old world farming traditions and techniques and is committed to embracing sustainable practices that respect our animals, land, and community.
- Our swine are handled by farm hands and not machines. Feeding, herding, and processing are all done manually – and that includes all of our butchering.
- Pig manure is used in the fertilizing of our fields that produce much of our corn, barley, and hay.
- Hay roundbales and baled cornstalks are used for bedding in the pens and also create activity for the pigs when placed in the pens whole for them to push and dismantle. This activity also permits the pigs to "root" which is a natural instinct.
- Sows are placed in spacious pens to deliver their young and kept with their young in these pens to bond until the piglets are 12 weeks old, creating less stress for the piglet during the first three months of life. This also makes weaning less stressful for the animal.
Møsefund Mangalitsa represent the best of heritage breed animal husbandry and unlike commercial breeds, our Mangalitsa are raised to maturity and do not reach their finished weight for 12-15 months.
- Pigs are weaned from their mothers at 12 weeks, 4 to 6 weeks longer than commodity pigs creating less stress.
- Our animals are raised without antibiotics, although we do give antibiotics at birth due to the long growing period.
- Pigs do not have noserings permitting them to root as they would in nature.
- Pigs have access to daylight in pasture or running pens, this access to sunlight increases the quantity of vitamin D in the lard.
- All of our pigs are 100% mangalitsa. We do not cross breed, EVER
- Pigs are kept segregated in age groups in pens with generous bedding and constant access to feed and water along with climate, humidity, and dust control to reduce stress.
- We handle our pigs from farrowing to finishing guaranteeing the customer the highest quality controls.
- Pigs are fed a diet of corn, with soy or alfalfa through to finishing, which is the last 30 to 60 days. At that time they are on a strict diet of barley which improves marbling of the meat and the quality of the fat.
- Our processing plant is Safe Quality Food (SQF) certified